Saturday 3 December 2011

This week

I've slacked a bit this week I must admit; I didn't manage to get as much sketching done as i'd planned, but what I did do was worthwhile.

I mentioned an Exeggutor design that i'd sketch this week, and I did sketch it. After doing it however I didn't really like the idea so much; i'm not sure why, it just didn't look the part. I suppose it's a good lesson for the future; I can sketch stuff out beforehand and if I like the idea as a sketch then I can press on with it; if however I don't like it then i've saved myself the time it would've taken to make it in Photoshop only to throw it away.

After doing the Exeggutor sketch I moved onto another idea that i'd had; it was going to be a parody of the three wolf moon design featuring the three Pokemon Entei, Suicune and Raikou instead of  the wolves. I even considered swapping the moon for Lunatone. I started to do a sketch and thought i'd do a quick search on Deviantart for any pictures of the three legendaries howling, as I could use those as reference points. Lo and behold however, it turns out that somebody else has already done my idea EXACTLY as I had pictured it in my head. I could of course carry on and just make it, but I don't want to anymore. I like my stuff to be as original and one-off as possible, and the fact that it exists somewhere else has really put me off the idea. It's a shame, but that's the way it is.

Here's the piece in question:


Luckily I already had had an alternate idea for the three wolf moon parody. I won't say what it is just yet; I want to do some sketches for it first. I'll try to make up for my week of slacking off by getting a scan of the preliminary sketch posted asap.

No comments:

Post a Comment